Many people search for the perfect personal injury Phoenix lawyer when they have been injured. The search might include asking friends and family for recommendations, searching online, and completing research so that you can make an informed decision.
Whether you need a personal injury Phoenix lawyer now, know someone who does, or you are seeking out legal advice for the future, there are some key steps to take if you have been injured.
First, seek out medical treatment as soon as possible. Failing to get your injuries documented could make it more difficult to obtain the compensation you need to cover past, present, and future medical expenses. Your number one priority should be your health – not the insurance company.
Second, protect your rights. Immediately after any accident – a slip and fall, car crash, bicycle accident, and more – tensions can run high. Try to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Call 9-1-1 right away for medical treatment and to have the police document the incident.
- If possible, take photos of property damage and injuries you and your passengers sustained.
- Tell the authorities only the facts. Do not blame anyone for the crash, even if you think you or another person was at fault.
- Avoid signing anything you do not understand or agree with, especially if an insurance adjuster arrives on the scene.
You will need to get information about the person who injured you. The police can document their information in a report if you are uncomfortable speaking with the party at fault or want to avoid a confrontation.
After you have received medical treatment, it’s time to start looking for the right personal injury Phoenix lawyer.
How to Find the Best Personal Injury Phoenix Lawyer
There are many ways to find a reliable lawyer. One of the best recommendations is from a trusted friend, relative, or a person you work with. Be aware, however, that each case is different so you will want to make sure that the lawyer practices personal injury law.
After an accident, you may even find yourself receiving advertisements from lawyers. Although ads can help you get names, be careful about believing everything you read and hear. If you’re interested in an attorney, doing your research online can help you decide. Also keep in mind that some attorneys can provide a free consultation, which allows you to meet the lawyer face-to-face and get legal counsel on whether you have a viable claim.
What to Look for in an Attorney
Your lawyer should be an advocate; someone will fight on your behalf using reasonable, ethical, and cost-effective means. When seeking out a personal injury Phoenix lawyer, here are some traits your attorney should have.
- Knows the law: The legal process can be drawn out and complicated. An attorney with experience and knowledge in every aspect of personal injury law is essential.
- Good Reviews: Check out the reviews and testimonials from real clients. Your prospective lawyer may have reviews on Facebook, Yelp, and legal directories such as com.
- Good Attorney-Client Relationship: – Although you may not be able to speak directly with former clients, reviews can help you gain an understanding of the attorney-client relationship. Find someone who will be invested in your case and will communicate with you every step of the way. An attorney who speaks both English and Spanish can help you as well as your family members who are facing trying times after a personal injury.
Finally, look for someone who is passionate about the law. When you meet with a prospective lawyer, you’ll be able to gauge the type of relationship you will have with them and whether they are passionate about their career or simply passionate about the money.
The Personal Injury Phoenix Process
Each case is different, and your personal injury Phoenix lawyer will be able to explain what you can expect. After your initial consultation, your lawyer will begin investigating your claim, which can include gathering a police report, medical records, witness testimonies, and more.
After the initial investigation, a demand letter outlining your case and damages will likely be sent to the defendant or their insurer. They may reject or counter offer the initial demand – you may even go through a couple rounds of demands and counteroffers.
If your case cannot be settled, your lawyer will then file a lawsuit on your behalf which may then escalate into a trial or mediation. Not all cases require a lawsuit or a trial, but you will want to find an attorney who is experienced should your claim require going to court.
Learn more about the personal injury claims process in Arizona.
The personal injury process in Phoenix will depend on the unique variables of each case. Scheduling a consultation with an attorney can help you protect your rights and gain an understanding of the legal process. A victim’s first instinct is often to let the insurance companies handle it, but it shouldn’t be. After a personal injury accident, contact a lawyer you can trust as soon as possible.