You never want to think about having a bike accident attorney on hand, but maybe you should. Arizona is a beautiful place for enjoying the great outdoors whether it’s taking a walk, riding a motorcycle or hopping on a bike. Bike sharing programs around Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Mesa are perfect for enjoying the city on a warm spring day.
Unfortunately, as with most modes of transportation, there are dangers in riding a bike. Careless drivers can quickly cause a cycling accident, leaving victims with serious, potentially life-threatening injuries. Just last year, the Arizona Department of Transportation revealed that more than 1,400 bicycle accidents were reported throughout the state. More than 90 percent of those crashes led to injuries, and two percent were fatal.
When you or a loved one is hurt in a cycling accident, you need the right bike accident attorney by your side. An experienced lawyer can help you fight for your right to justice and fair compensation.
How to Find the Best Bike Accident Attorney
After an accident, your first priority should be getting medical attention and reporting the incident by calling 9-1-1. After reporting the crash, call a bike accident attorney. But do you know who to call? You should find an attorney before an accident occurs so that you don’t have to worry about how to find a good lawyer, who to contact, and who to interview. There are six keys to picking the right bike accident attorney.
- Expertise: find someone who knows Arizona law and city ordinances. Some cities have their own set of rules so you should find a lawyer that’s familiar with the ordinances where your crash occurred. For example, in Tucson, Sierra Vista, and Yuma, riders under 18 are required to wear helmets. Other cities have specific rules on riding on sidewalks, who has the right-of-way, and even what counts as a bicycle.
- Trust: find a bike accident attorney with good reviews. While doing research, look at the potential attorney’s reviews on Facebook, Yelp!, Google, and other sites.
- Listening Skills: seek out someone who listens to you. Your lawyer should be ready to listen to you and hear your story if you or a loved one has been hurt in a bike accident. They should be ready to listen to every detail and determine if you have a case.
- Care: hire a lawyer who cares about you. Your attorney should care not just about the case but also about you. They should understand how difficult this time can be and provide reassurances that they’re working on your claim and have your best interests in mind. Their ability to listen to you and care about your well-being should go hand-in-hand.
- Communication: choose someone who communicates well. Is your lawyer failing to provide updates on your claim? Are they answering your questions? Are you able to speak to them personally? Your lawyer should be communicating with you every step of the way to provide updates. After all, the claims process can sometimes be lengthy, which is why it’s important to find someone who keeps in touch.
- Passion: find a bike accident lawyer who loves the law. Is there anything more reassuring than finding an attorney who’s passionate about the law? Your attorney should be eager to get you the justice you deserve and hold the party-at-fault responsible for their actions. Find an attorney who loves their job and gets excited about helping you and your family.
Always Be Safe When Riding a Bike
The possibility of an accident shouldn’t deter you from enjoying a nice bike ride; just make sure you’re safe. Here are a few tips to consider.
- Always wear a helmet
- Obey traffic signs and signals
- Make sure to use the proper hand signals to notify drivers of your intentions
- Ride with traffic and not against it
- Wear reflective clothing at night
- Watch for road hazards like potholes or slippery conditions
- Avoid distractions, like texting on your cell phone or listening to music.
Whether it’s an adult or child riding a bike, they should be following these tips and the rules of the road. Young children should be supervised and aware of the dangers. You may want to give them more protective gear beyond a helmet, like kneepads and elbow pads. Also, check to see if there are any specific bicycle laws in your city and the surrounding areas.
By riding safely, you’re decreasing the risk of an accident or injuries. However, if you are hurt in a bicycle accident, contact our law offices. Sonja Duckstein is an experienced bike accident attorney who is ready to listen to the details of your case and help guide you through the legal process so you can obtain the compensation you deserve. Contact our law offices today.